Welcome to Panthers' class!
Durung this first half of the Autumn Term we have been learning about the Great Fire of London in History; answering who, what, where, when, why and how questions.
In Science we have been learning about living things and their habitats. We explored our local environment, looking for plants and animals that live there. We have also been investigating food chains.
AutumnTerm second half
In this half term in English we will be…
WRITING TO ENTERTAIN (creating stories with familiar settings, character and setting descriptions) We will be reading:
WRITING TO INFORM (creating reports, recounts, instructions, explanations based on our topics in History and Science)
WRITING TO PERSUADE (creating adverts, letters and posters) We will be reading:
Our Maths units are…
- Numbers within 100 - use place value and number facts to solve problems; identify, represent, compare and order numbers.
- Add and subtract 2-digit numbers - build addition/subtraction facts, understand commutativity.
- Addition and subtraction word problems - solve problems using concrete and pictorial representations to develop mental and written methods, recognise inverse relationships of operations.
- Measuring lenght - understand appropriate units of measure (cm, m), compare and order, read scales to 100.
- Graphs - interpret and construct tables, tally charts, pictograms and block diagrams, ask/answer questions about totalling and comparing data.
- Multiplication and division by 2, 5 and 10 - calculate mathematical statements, understand commutativity, solve problems using concrete, pictorial, written and mental methods.
PE in Panther Class
On Tuesdays and Thursdays the children will be taking part in PE with Dellar Sports. We request that your child arrives at school in their full PE kit and their uniform in their bag. The children will change into their uniform after PE and bring their kit home ready to change into for the following PE session. A full P.E kit includes; black shorts, a white t-shirt, plimsolls/trainers, and for colder days; a tracksuit. Please remember that jewellery (including earrings) must NOT be worn for P.E, and that you child must be able to remove items independently if worn to school that day.
Homework in Panther Class
Your child will receive a learning log containing a homework book. We will stick useful information and knowledge organisers, tasks and activities into this book as the term progresses, to help you reinforce and support your child’s learning at home.
We will be changing books on Mondays. If your child finishes their book midweek, please encourage your child to re-read it; focussing on previously mis-pronounced words, trying to read aloud with more expression or to talk more about what happened and retrieve information.
Please hear your child read as often as possible at home. We will endeavour to listen to your child read regularly in school (choosing another book or text from our class stock) and we will record assessment notes in our own class reading file.
Please ensure your child’s learning log is in class on Mondays, as this is when we will issue (and stick in) new spellings. Spellings will be tested on Fridays.